Thursday, May 25, 2006

What an awesome experience!






Greetings Alumni!
As promised, this will be a site designated to alumni of the Cindy Biron DH Meth-Ed camps & workshops. This should be a forum for any topics that the group decides. I will only assume the role of blog spot keeper! I have listed to the right, websites that have been resourceful to me and will post or provide any helpful items I may have regarding dental hygiene issues.
My thoughts are that this should be a fun place to exchange as well and will do my best to keep the blog rolling as it grows.
I believe we are a unique breed who could benefit by ongoing communication and support. I personally had such an incredible visit to the camp for so many reasons. I found it invigorating to be with all of you so genuinely committed to dental hygiene education. I believe we had an awesome group of professionals who connected in so many ways, it truly was special. I look forward to chatting with you all. Any and all suggestions in regards to a forum for this site are welcome and encouraged!

You can access my blog for first year students from last year by visiting http://ccccdh.blogspot.com/ to see how this works. I found it helpful for the first year students to get to know eachother via this mode of communication. I had them research websites and comment via the blog weekly for part of their participation grade. I felt it was successful last year.

With all that we learned at the camp and fall semester just a month or so down the road, I would like to throw out a discussion topic. How, if at all, will anyone change their PreClinic introduction to instrumentation. I know I will be "adjusting" what we are teaching them regarding "scaling" vs. biofilm removal for example. In what order to do most of you introduce the instruments? How many are using simulators vs. student partners? Let's toss around some thoughts. You can post a comment by clicking on "comments" in the bottom right of this screen. Let me know if you having any problem posting comments.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer. Hotter than ever here in Dallas!

Love to hear from Alumni & welcome to new campers as well!

Sincerely,

Marianne

Marianne Dryer,RDH
Collin County Community College
McKinney, Texas 75002
mdryer@ccccd.edu

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marianne et al
Miss you all. Did not get this blog until now..trouble with email I guess....
RLevi@middlesexcc.edu Please note
About your questions....The big difference I will introduce is competencies on manikins instead of partners. I can't do daily instrumentation practice on manikins for a number of reasons. Looking forward to creating a "level playing field for the comps
Risa

Anonymous said...

Thank you Marianne, for making this blog available to the alums.

The last of the summer camps is taking place in Memphis July 31-August 3rd.

It has been a wonderful summer working with all of you in the camps. I will continue to share new information through this blog. I have not stopped long enough to submit items, but will be catching up with you before school starts. Enjoy your summer and have a great fall semester.

Cindy Biron

Anonymous said...

Just want to tell everyone that the DVD "Precision in Periodontal Instrumentation" can only be played in computers with DVD players. Some of you are trying to play them in computers that only have CD Players and of course it won't play so you then think the DVD is defective. The DVD is a movie and can be played on any DVD player. Have a great semester!
Cindy Biron

Marianne Dryer, RDH said...

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to share my exciting news that my family and I are moving to Cape Cod this summer!!! I will miss my wonderful teaching position at Collin County Community College in Dallas,Texas. I am leaving the incoming class an awesome gift however....they will each be purchasing a "Precision in Periodontal Instrumentation" DVD in their freshman student kits. I believe it is a very valuable tool to new clinicians and instructors as well.
Hope all is well with everyone. Post if you can to let us know how how things are doing!
Best wishes,
Marianne Dryer, RDH
Camp Alumni 2006

Anonymous said...

Marianne:
Just want to wish you happiness in your new home on Cape Cod. It is a wonderful place to live.

Hopefully, you will continue to teach DH instrumentation at one of the many fabulous DH programs in Massachusetts. You have deft hand skills and have mastered the techniques that are presented in our camps. We need you out there teaching.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Cindy Biron

Anonymous said...

Alums, please contact me for the upgraded DHPCE grading form. I have tried emailing you and many have changed email addresses so I cannot contact you.
Thanks,
Cindy Biron


Blog Archive